Thursday, September 19, 2013

Wedding Time : Surprise!

The day finally arrived! Wedding day!

We woke up bright and early and went to Huntington for breakfast and to revisit where Kim proposed to me (yes, I'm a sentimental one). We were also supposed to be going to the airport to pick up a friend of Kim's mom. I was a bit of a nervous wreck as the morning went on, and was especially nervous about picking up the stranger-to-me friend. Kim was very distracted most of the morning, but told me it was because of some changes with this friends flight.

We enjoyed a nice morning stroll on the beach, took some pictures, then headed up to the airport. Kim was much calmer at this point, so I just tried to relax, too. We got to the airport, and are walking through the passenger pickup area, when Kim just stops walking. I thought she had seen the lady we were picking up, but then she turns and kind of walks away from me. I am a bit confused at this point, but just turn to follow her, and what do you know... my best friend is standing there.

My honest first reaction was one of surprise, thinking "why is she in California?!" She comes over and hugs me, and I'm realizing that she might be here for our wedding... but not fully, so I ask her, "are you coming to our wedding?!" I'm pretty sure I will not live that moment down for quite some time.

Here's the inside scoop, though. It turns out Kim was distracted and anxious because my friend flew from STL to Phoenix and then they cancelled her connecting flight, leaving her stranded in Phoenix. Kim had to make secret phone calls and go through of few waves of panic, all with me right next to her. Lucky for her, just as she got the email telling her Jo's flight was cancelled, I decided to take a long shower, so she had time to call the airline. The airline managed to find a flight for her, flew her into an airport even closer to us, and there she was.

My soon-to-be wife pulled a fast one on me - I had NO idea. But she really made our day just that much more wonderful with this surprise. And thanks to Jo for sticking her toes in the sand, letting someone pedicure us, and for having a very long day of travel to be there for my day.









No comments: