Sunday, September 21, 2014

San Francisco: Cable Cars

The cable cars are easily my very favorite part of this city. If I could have gotten on and stayed on, riding back and forth across the city, all day, I would have. They don't go very fast (usually 9.5mph) - though the do seem to free fall down some of those hills. They stop with a squeal and a smell that is very brake-y. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I absolutely loved this part of San Francisco. 





I got yelled out for standing over the "yellow line". I had to though. They manually turn the cars around on the "turnarounds" at the end of the tracks. It pulls into the circle, and they literally get out and push it around in a circle. Old, mechanical, wonderful.



Instructions for the drivers are printed on the roads... "take rope" is my favorite!



Driving on these roads would be interesting... tiny lanes, lots of parked cars, and lots of "keep outs".



On the move!







Going up...


And going right back down...



"Let Go"




No comments: